Corrosion has always been the number one enemy of custom steel fabrication industries. It damages metal structures, disrupts steel fabrication and installation, generates costly maintenance, and leads to potential explosions, power failures, the shutdown of facilities, and a lot more.
That is why steel fabricators in Sydney always see to it that materials and other metal components in every project are held in the highest regard.
Properly monitoring the quality of custom steel fabrication is one of the priorities that our company is withholding.
Custom Steel Fabrication
Custom steel fabrication is highly significant in every aspect of the fabrication industry. They are your metals that are transformed, manufactured, processed, constructed, and finished into a product that the majority of people use, globally.
Steel fabrication Sydney in particular is found at the heart of Ferrum. In Ferrum, apart from the high-quality blueprints, they also ensure that the resources used for each project are in good condition and free from rust.
What is rust?
Rust or corrosion is the disintegration of a metal as a result of some external environment. It is thereby a natural phenomenon. Corrosion happens when it meets the following conditions: moisture, oxidizing agent, and exposure to a metallic surface.
Metal, specifically, corrodes when it reacts with substances like oxygen, hydrogen, and electron acceptor.
Now, we all know how important metal is. Therefore, witnessing corroding steel should urge us to ponder on how we can stop or prevent it from deteriorating even further.
Prevent Steel From Corroding
Before diving into a more detailed manual, here’s a simple summary to help you understand better:
- To make sure that you don’t worry further about metal corrosion, purchase and choose metals that are unlikely to rust in the worst way possible, like aluminum and stainless steel.
- Keep the surrounding area of the metal surface, DRY. Unless you’d want to go back to square one and be filled with rust problems all over again, well, we don’t want that.
- When you’re trying to achieve a rust-free material, use dry agents and products that can lock in moisture that will serve as a barrier to prevent wet substances from permeating your metal.
- Ensure that the pipes underground are laid in layers of backfill.
- And of course, make sure that electrical elements are cleaned in due time.
There is no one-size-fits-all solution for steel corrosion problems. It doesn’t just happen in a snap. It requires patience, effort, and maintenance. The following methods will provide an in-depth explanation to preventing steel corrosion:
Choose Your Kind of Metal
Prevent corrosion by choosing the right kind of metals. These metals must be rust-resistant like stainless steel and aluminum.
Another type of metal is sacrificial metal. Zinc and magnesium are examples of sacrificial metals. These metals act as armor, protecting the internal steel from rusting.
This happens when you cover or place them in direct contact with the steel. The external metals (zinc/magnesium) are sacrificed. They are then expected to corrode first, while the steel inside stays safe from rust. Hence the term, “sacrificial metals”.
Cathodic and anodic protection are the two primary methods to successfully achieve sacrificial protection.
This choice will save you from spending additional expenses on protective coatings.
- Utilising paint as a protective coating for your metal is another cost-effective solution. It barricades moisture and other substances that cause corrosion by stopping the transfer of electrochemical charges directly to the metal.
- Carbon fiber coating also helps prevent rust. Sheets of carbon fiber are covered around a metal which protects and strengthens the quality of the material making it less susceptible to cracks and unexpected leakages.
- Aside from that, powder coating is helpful as well. The powder is applied to a metal surface, heated, and fused into a smooth finish. Acrylic, polyester, epoxy, nylon, and urethane are examples of this type of coating.
- Alkyd enamels are great protective coatings too. They can resist corrosion in 3-5 years. They’re high-gloss in color and have strong resistance against color fading. Apply them via spray or brush rollers.
- On the other hand, epoxy coatings are deemed slightly better than alkyd enamels because they can withstand harsh industrial surroundings, and color or gloss isn’t much of a concern either. Spraying is encouraged for the application of this coating.
- Polyurethane coating is yet the best kind among the others mentioned. It has a corrosion-resistance ability that lasts up to 10 years. It provides strong color, is glossy, and is resistant to abrasion. Moreover, it can withstand severe industrial environments. This coating is best applied through spraying.
Corrosion is caused by the chemical interaction of the surrounding environment of a metal. By taking precautionary measures to tinker with how much your metal is exposed to these various environmental factors, you can reduce the possible risk of corrosion.
This is done by simply making sure that the materials aren’t exposed to rain or seawater. You can execute a more advanced method by controlling and monitoring the levels of sulfur, chlorine, or oxygen present around the metal.
Custom Metal Fabrication Design
Modifying metal fabrication designs and fabricating them to improve longevity, quality, and durability is the way to go. Make sure that the designs are strategically manufactured, making it easier for regular maintenance to take place.
This includes providing metallic materials the attributes they need to decrease the risk of further deterioration.
Custom Steel Fabrication at FERRUM
Understanding metal corrosion and how it can be prevented is truly significant and it is must-have knowledge for your fabrication projects.
Our company will make sure that operating on your metal fabrication projects will be a satisfactory experience, offering you full-packaged top-grade quality along with our finest steel equipment.
Corrosion is never a pleasing sight for everyone, we get you. Who would want to see your products disintegrated and covered with oxidized iron, right? Like you, we despise RUST!
But perhaps, choosing the right steel fabrication company can overturn the tables for you.
We, at Ferrum, are the metal experts that will answer your fabrication projects. So if you’re interested, visit us today.