Mode of transportation has been evolving and still is evolving through innovation and with this must come with the modernization of our driveways and highways as well. The main problem with the cities is when the rain pours hard and drainages are not taken care of, it can cause urban flooding and this can get very nasty often times. Channel and grates are the perfect set up for situations like this, specifically galvanised channels and grates. In this article, we are going to discuss about purpose, options, installation, design and safety and many more about galvanised driveway channels and grates.
WHAT IS GALVANISING?
Galvanization or galvanizing is a process where a protective zinc coating to steel or iron is applied to prevent rusting. There are 2 ways galvanizing protects the underlying iron or steel: 1. The zinc coating prevents corrosive substances from reaching the underlying steel or iron. 2. If an underlying metal becomes exposed, protection is still continued as long as there is zinc close enough to be electrically coupled. When all of the zinc in the immediate area is consumed, localized corrosion of the base metal can occur.
This process is very ideal for projects such as driveways or drainage as water can cause corrosion and these are always exposed to water and heat.
If you are considering creating a drainage system in your home or in your stores, a galvanised channel grate is perfect for you. If you are looking for function, this is the wisest choice and if you are looking for aesthetics this doesn’t fall behind. A galvanised driveway grate provides easy clean up as water would be easily drained and the place would be perfectly clean afterwards.
Also known as trench drains or linear drains are based on gravity. Accordingly, channel grates should always be positioned at a point where surface waters are likely to roll towards. It drains water along the entire length and are made up of an enclosed channel with some form of grating over the top. The main purpose of a channel grate is to remove surface water away from a selected area. This helps preventing flooding and overspill or stagnant water. It is also used to control water flow in an area by reducing the stress being put on the system. So if you are looking for a prevention for flooding product a galvanised channel grate is the best option for you, not only is it durable, it is also 100% effective.
There are a lot of material options to consider if you want a channel grate. Each comes with different prices and durability. Here are some options for you to consider:
- PLASTIC CHANNEL GRATES
- Plastic is the cheapest out of all the material options but it is also the weakest when it comes to durability. This is most commonly used in pool side or decks or inside drains. It is easy to install and is also lightweight. However, plastic can easily fade, splint or peel. The smooth finishing of plastic is a soft material choice for bare feet. They are also easily to work with so decoration patterns you have in mind is almost possible. Plastic channel grates doesn’t last long, although there are many factors to consider like weather, maintenance, human interaction and a lot more.
- GALVANISED CHANNEL GRATES
- Most commonly used in municipal and industrial sites, they are often over in grass or in concrete. A galvanised channel grate is cheaper than any other metal options but twice or thrice more durable than the other. Most of them come in industrial-looking due to manufacturing considerations. It is not easy to cast than any other material. Simple slots or bars are common. If you are looking for a durable, load bearing material, this is the perfect material option for you. A galvanised drainage grate is perfect in urban areas where heavy loading vehicles constantly pass by. Rather than breaking or splintering, this will only dent if it is under heavy impact. If you are looking for a material option for a driveway channel grate, this is the best option for you.
- STAINLESS STEEL CHANNEL GRATES
- Expensive yet durable. Most commonly used in showers, tubs or patios. This is more likely compatible with the interior design of your home. This is mostly the go to option of many because of its corrosion resistance property and aesthetic looks. Stainless steel channel grates are also usually constructed of simple machined shapes. Slotted widths are common or a pattern of holes. Like any other steel, stainless is harder to cast. If you are looking for functionality and at the same time, aesthetically pleasing then this is the best material option for you.
There are a lot more than just this three, just make sure what is the best option for you. Make sure to remember the three main points to consider, durability, functionality and price.
Installing channel grates can be done by anyone who can get the job done but would you risk your money on risks of future repairs than secured installation? It is a long-term solution if it is installed correctly. Hiring a company who are experts on steel fabrication and installation like Ferrum is the best way to do it. Keep in mind that all channel grate is made the same but the installation method varies from product to product.
When it comes to design, it is definitely up to the material option. Some materials like plastic are easily handled while steel on the other is harder to manage. There are wide range of colours for you to pick, designs for you to put but it all comes down to material, so keep in mind what type of design you want, what type of material you want and where you want to put it.
When it comes to safety, a channel grate is on top. Wherever it is installed it is perfectly safe for everyone. For situations like the highway for example, a galvanised channel grate is perfectly safe for any vehicles to pass through as it is very durable and doesn’t change the elevation of road unlike gutters and other drainages.
- Easy to maintain
- Cost-effective for long term solution to remove water
- Controls water flow after heavy rain
- Reduces soil erosion
Investing in a galvanised channel grate is ideal for people at home especially in a garage when you are in a place that constantly gets flooded with small rain pours. A galvanised driveway grates in Sydney is very common now as cleaning at home makes it easier to flush out the water. A company like Ferrum who are experts in fabrication and installation can provide you with great service and top-quality products and outcome.